Monday 29 October 2018

Simple training drill for forms applications

Me and Ivar played around a little with forms applications after a regular training session was over. I got Synnøve to film us so this blog post will have both text, aaaaaand video to accompony it ;-) The applications in this drill consists of a haymaker defense using sonnal geodeuro makki (knife hand guarding block), limb control using han sonnal bakkat makki (outward knife hand block) and bakkat makki (outward block). A few minutes of playing and you get applications from different Poomsae in one short drill.




Basic drill

First Ivar is feeding me hook punches, going left and right. If you want to up the difficulty you can let him decide whether he goes left and right coninuesly or if he changes it up after his own mind (right, left, right, left, left, left, left, right etc). The other one who is drilling moves inside of the attack and receives it with a "flinch block". Trapping the arm that did the haymaker you follow the arm in to deliver a knife hand strike to the side of the attackers neck.

Introducing limb control variation 1 from taegeuk sam jang

In the second part of the clip we introduce limb control. What do you do if the opponent blocks your knifehand strike? This is a great big black hole in modern mainstream taekwondo regarding our hand techniques and self defense (ho sin sul) training. Most formal sparring (one step sparring, three step sparring etc) and most ho sin sul drills I have seen ends with the defender doing one sucsessfull counterattack. This counter might consist of several strikes, or a combination of strikes and stand up grappling or sweeps, but there does not seem to be much in the way of the possibility that the attacker defends intelligently against the defenders counter. In this case I flinch block and do the knife hand strike just as before, but now the opponent blocks (gasp!) my knife hand strike to the side of his neck. I sidestep while clearing his limb out of the way with the outward block, trap it and pull it toward my hip and punch him in what I hope is one fluid movement ;-) If you want to up the difficulty level and practise a little more sensitivity you will keep on doing as before, and then when the partner feels like it at any given point he or she blocks. He might do it now, or the next, or the next but at some point he will block it and then you act on it. In the video he just blocks on each go so we can play :-)

Many sequences in Poomsae can be used as a solution, introduce other answers

In the last two reps I play with a sequence you might have seen in my taegeuk sa jang application drill. There I use the outward block, kick and put the kicking leg back into back stance and do an inward midle section block as a way to clear the limb in the same manner as in the previous paragraph, but now I kick the leg, sit back into back stance so my body weight straightens his arm (this explains why you use THAT stance and not any other stance), and then slam your middle section inward block onto his elbow joint to hyper extend it. I could have flowed on to do more of taegeuk sa jang, but we ended there as we literally just had a few seconds before we had to vacant the gym :-)

The video:

I hope you enjoyed that little drill template :-) I will share more in the future no doubt, as this (poomsae applications and the training of said applications) is something that I find very interesting and is something I am very passionate about. To me the applications is what makes Poomsae worthwile, and make them come to life. Without them you have a martial dance, or just basics strung together in no particular manner, for rote memorisation purposes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment