Tuesday 21 July 2020

Basic Sword training; "Gibon Ta" drill, fundamental sword cuts




After the sword training we did a little while back I kept brushing off on my sword training, and part of that was the Gibon Ta or fundamental sword strokes drill that I learned a loooooong time ago. The drill is pretty stationary, and when you have done the sequence you have effectivly gone through most of the fundamental sword cuts in the system I practise. I filmed myself when doing the exercises so that I could look at the footage and find things to improve upon (and there was a lot). Practising on my own and with no mirrors video seems to be a descent way of getting feedback (by reviewing the footage).

The Gibon Ta consists of front cut, diagonal cut, wrist cut, thrusts, horizontal cuts, upwards diagonal cuts, and upward cut. 


The gibon ta is almost stationary and a fine library of techniques so eventhough I have had to relearn the longer forms in Kyeongdang, this drill is something I have always maintained :-)

Below is a video showcasing the basic template:



I write a basic template because you can easily draw upon this library of techniques and make variations where you practise footwork, or you can increase the number of repetitions of cuts making the drilling of basic cuts even better. Its a great way to warm up too :-) The last session I did alone I did the basic template 10 times in a row, then I did a modified version that you can see below with ten repetitions of each cut:


I also focused on the first five of the 24 Yedo forms (short sword forms). A day or two later I did another session where I focused on Unkwang Ryu. I filmed the first 5 Yedo forms so those will show up on my blog at one point, but I did not film Unkwang Ryu as it is a very long form (in distance travelled :-P ). If you have a Mokgeom/Bokken (wooden sword) and you want to try a few cuts for some exercise give the Gibon Ta drill a try :-)




No comments:

Post a Comment