In the end I could not do it. I wrote that honestly trying to define Poomsae in a few short sentences is not possible because it has such a broad role to play in our beloved martial art. That is the honest truth, and that is why you always see the simplified definition when you search for a definition on Poomsae. To define it as a predermined order of linked basic techniques is what it is at the most basic level of understanding. But the more you study and practise the more you begin to realise that this is just one fraction of what it could be. Instead of trying to define it in a few short sentences I instead opted to let Poomsae define itself by showing some of the roles Poomsae has in Taekwondo training
Some of the roles of Poomsae in Taekwondo includes:
- Basic techniques training
- A form of competition
- A way to practise basic techniques in combinations instead of as single units.
- A form of active meditation
- A form of "Kigung" (a method to develop inner energy or inner strength; "Ki")
- A way of practising how to be a master of your own body
- A way to precerve knowledge from one generation to the next
- Examples of combative techniques that could be used in different situations.
- A method to convey and conserve combative strategy.
- A way to practise combative techniques without a partner
- A way to practise combative techniques and followthroughs that are to dangerous to practice "live"
- Etc, etc, etc
Now that you have read through this post I have a challenge for you: "Can you make this list longer?" If you can please list the aditional roles Poomsae has in Taekwondo training in a comment below. Do not worry you do not need to subscribe or make a profile, you can just chose "anonominous profile" (please I want a dictionary for my birthday:p ) and make your comment below:-)